MAP OF TORNIO LAPLAND OF 1643 Kartor över Kemi & Torne lappmarker 1642 och 1643 - Olof Tresk's atlas, map taken from page 19. The names of places on the northern border of Tornio Lapland have been printed on the map in numerical order and the explanatory text is displayed in alphabetical order. A. The Church of Kemi and the Kemijoki River. B. The Church and town of Tornio. C. In this region and on the river shore, is the location of the town of Tornio with its superior fields and arable lands. This is also the location for their best salmon fishing grounds, on the eastern side of the river, in Swänssaröös, on the main channel of the river, 800 ells from town. D. The Hietaniemi Chapel is the affiliate congregation of the Ylitornio pastorate. It was formerly located two and a half kilometres from the site of the Church of Ylitornio. It is said that the chapel had been moved there some time ago carried by the river and its ice. E. The Ylitornio Church is located 100 kilometres north of Tornio, a trip to be taken by boat, only reaching the Kukkola rapids will boats need to be pulled on shore for a distance of 200 ells, but during times with an abundance of water, one can bypass the rapids by taking the River Liakkajoki to Raumo and continue the row upstream. F. The village of Pajala at the confluence of the Tornionjoki and Könkämäjoki rivers. G. The island of Kolari, the eastern shore bank of which is red ochre. H. Markkina Church. The Laplanders come from all directions to this place to hold church services, sessions of judgement, markets and exchanged goods with the Pirkanmaa people of Tornio. I. Rounala Church, a marketplace of old, nowadays held in the village of Markkina. K. Lake Rustajärvi from which two rivers flow into the sea - one from the east, and one from the west. Therefore, the correct border traverses through the centre of this lake. L. The Tingwara village, earlier Laplanders gathered here, but nowadays they congregate in Jukkasjärvi. M. The Jukkasjärvi Church and marketplace. The Segwara Lapps gather here. N. Iron ore fell in Kalix Lapland. O. Royal salmon fishing ground in the Kalix river. P. The Yli-Kalix Chapel. An affiliate congregation of the Kalix Church. Q. The church and parsonage of the village of Ulko-Kalix. R. Copper ore deposit in the village of Pulinge. S. Sirka, village in Luulaja Lapland. T. Jokkmokk, Luulaja Lapland. W. Såcksjock, village in Luulaja Lapland. X. Royal salmon fishing ground in the Luulajanjoki River. Y. The town of Luulaja and parish church. Z. The Piteå Town Church. These villages are located on the other side of the border and are taxed by Sweden and Norway: Å. Koteckinn Ä. LappiJaur Ö. Awiwara When speaking of Tornio and Kalix Lapland in general, the area has great fells and lichen grounds, several rivers and beautiful fishing lakes, as well as many even-lying areas where farmers cultivate their fields and meadows, however, there are many large and steep rapids where boats should be drawn across land.
Zoom the map>>