Church of Rovaniemi

 

 

 

 

 

Browse the photo gallery here

 


The Church of Rovaniemi was completed in 1950. It was designed by architect Bertel Liljeqvist. The church‘s sizable altar fresco was realized by Professor Lennart Segerstråhle in 1951. In the wall paintings, the metaphorical biblical image of the sheep has been replaced by a reindeer. The church’s cross, illuminated by a red neon light, has provoked considerable discussion.

luettelomerkki

Land of the Arctic Circle
--------------------------

luettelomerkki

Mountain of the
Midnight Sun

--------------------------

luettelomerkki

Finland’s Klondike
--------------------------

luettelomerkki

From sleigh rides to the
age of the Concorde

--------------------------

luettelomerkki

The nearest real hotel
--------------------------

luettelomerkki

Santa Claus Land
--------------------------

luettelomerkki

A city called by many
names - and the heroes
take the spoils

--------------------------

 

 


Travellers in Lapland - Info - 2007 University of Lapland